The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation is pleased to announce the eight teams selected to participate in the final of the Global New Business Challenge (GNVC), a starter competition for students enrolled in the Chicago Booth Executive MBA program.
The GNVC, now in its 14e year, operates at Booth’s three campuses – Chicago, London and Hong Kong – each of which hosts a semi-final before the World Finals. The finalist teams will compete for a part of a $ 75,000 investment pool in a virtual business plan competition to be held on June 10th.
Nineteen teams have been accepted into this year’s GNVC, which includes an intensive week of classes and one-on-one coaching sessions with mentors from around the world ahead of the regional semi-finals. The class is taught by Waverly Deutsch, Clinical Professor of Entrepreneurship at Booth and Director of the University of Chicago’s Global Entrepreneur Network at the Polsky Center.
“I am always amazed at the variety of business models our EMBA students work on,” Deutsch said. “This year, we had teams that brought artificial intelligence and sensor technology to shrimp farming in India, innovation in the welding industry and a tasty chocolate gum to hit the market in India. more than our eight grand finalists. Viewers of this year’s GNVC Finals will see an incredible array of compelling companies. “
The eight teams that qualify for the GNVC final are:
- Go forward // Driving Forward is a non-profit organization that helps underfunded undergraduates prepare for rewarding careers by offering internships focused on professional development and mentoring.
- HeartScreen // Heartscreen is a subscription-based telemedicine platform that turns a smartphone into a digital stethoscope that acquires heart sounds in real time.
- Pillars // Pillars is a technology-driven investment platform to manage the wealth and investments of Muslims, enabling them to save for their future according to their beliefs.
Hong Kong campus:
- Match point // Match Point is a comprehensive SaaS solution to help food and beverage retailers maximize operating margins through the use of dynamic menu prices and the elimination of menu costs.
- Seraphim Gaming Technologies // Seraphim Gaming Technologies is a technology provider of secure playing cards, card sabot devices and casino table game analytics in Asia.
- Dar // Dar offers a modular housing product that offers affordability, durability and short delivery times. The product aims to solve the housing crisis facing the middle class in Saudi Arabia.
- ReconBio //ReconBio is a drug-device combination platform that enables on-demand drug delivery and recovery, creating value by improving patient outcomes and reducing healthcare costs.
- Tendenza // Tendenza is a women’s clothing retail chain that sells premium quality second-hand imported clothing.
The GNVC is one of the five tracks of the New Venture Challenge, which this year marks its 25e anniversary. It’s a condensed version of the program’s traditional track, the Edward L. Kaplan, 71, New Venture Challenge, which is intended for Booth’s MBAs and other UChicago graduate students and spans the academic year.